AudioThing has released Reels, a virtual tape machine to the plug-in that wants to put retro feel into production featuring a built-in echo section and tape-stop effect.
Other typical features of a tape machine are available to users of this new release, including Wow / Flutter, Crosstalk, Hiss, Engine Noise, Harmonic Distortion and so on. In addition to these parameters, there are also three band types to choose from, which in turn can influence the sound.
“We have modeled three different 1/4” tape frequency responses and saturations, along with all the analog imperfections of tape recording/playback.”
Reels recreates all the imperfection of consumer reel-to-reel vintage recorders, including:
- Harshness, harmonic distortion with loss of clarity (mid-range)
- WOW/Flutter, pitch instabilities due to recording and playback issues
- Ducking, random volume loss due to tape or rec/play head imperfections
- Crosstalk, the leak between left and right channel in a stereo signal
- Hiss, high-frequency noise caused by the magnetic particles in the tape
- Motor, mid-frequency noise caused by the reels motor
If you want to add some retro feel to your track, then AudioThing Reels should be just right for you. AudioThing Reels is a virtual tape machine available as a plug-in (VST / VST3 / AU / AAX) for Windows and Mac. Priced at $45.
Buy at PluginBoutique: Reels