True analog sound with state-of-the-art features!
Tone2 Saurus is a virtual analog synthesizer plugin designed for music producers and sound designers. It is known for its rich and warm sound, as well as its user-friendly interface.
One of the standout features of Saurus is its unique oscillator section, which utilizes a complex waveform generator to create rich, complex waveforms that can be further shaped and modulated using a range of filter and modulation options.
Saurus 4 can do an extremely authentic emulation of analog synthesizers. It covers all important aspects of the most famous and expensive analog synths, but without their disadvantages.
Saurus 4 comes with a clear, easy-to-use interface. It offers a larger sonic range and a more flexible synthesis engine than conventional subtractive synths. Saurus 4 offers quality high-end sound, but without placing heavy demands on your CPU or budget.
At the heart of Saurus 4 are its top-notch oscillators employing our True Analog Modeling Technology ™, which produces a warm characteristic sound of the hardware units from the past.
With PWM, Sync, AM & FM an extremely broad range of sounds can be dialed in. Saurus 4 offers a selection of both standard and exotic oscillator types from hard-to-get analog synths. Finally, true analog sound no longer requires any compromises!
True analog sound requires an excellent filter that’s capable of sounding both lush or screaming when overdriven. However, analog filters are far from perfect. They suffer from distortion, noise, phase shift, and self-oscillation. Exactly these imperfections add this magic character, which is missing in digital filters.
That’s why Saurus 4 comes with a filter section that models the most famous analog filters. With precisely modeled non-linearity and self-oscillation, they sound and behave exactly like analog circuits. To top it all off the filter section also includes FM, feedback, and an analog-modeled distortion for that little extra grit.
Arpeggiator & Gate
We created an arpeggiator that doesn’t just offer the basic note step functionality. It takes the concept further by adding features such as custom patterns, chords, swing, and per-step velocity. Your arpeggio sequence can be as simple or complicated as you wish.
Modulation & Effects
By using drag & drop or the matrix, Saurus 4 allows you to connect dozens of modulation sources to sound parameters. Modulate almost any parameter up into the audio-rate speed. We’ve also included midi-learn, so assigning CC’s is as simple as a right-click.
To complement its sound, Saurus 4 features various classic effects such as 4x unison, chorus, delay, reverb, and tube amp. All effects offer the highest quality possible.
Saurus 4 offers 7 different micro tuning modes that can model analog oscillator drift. Furthermore, the engine can slightly detune certain voices to make your chords sound fatter, harmonically rich, and warm. Unlike conventional synths, our innovative micro-tuning is not limited to the usage of a certain tonality. Saurus 4 is able to analyze your melodies in real-time and enhances your chords automatically. It ‘just works’ – you do not need to take care of anything.
Saurus 4 new features:
- GUI with 20 different sizes (with and without keys).
- Native support for WQHD, 4K, 5K and 8K UHD displays.
- GUI can be scaled from 66% up to 300% by clicking in the lower right corner.
- Reworked and enhanced graphics.
- Smoother animations and more responisve controls.
- Support for hardware-acceleration.
- Ultrasharp graphics with enhanced HiDpi and Retina Display support.
- Automatic detection of the ideal GUI size.
- Completely rewritten GUI code.
- More contrast for the LCD displays.
- The animations are faster and smoother.
- Fine-tuned some coordinates in the interface.
- Re-sizing the VST3, Standalone and Audiounit works more reliable.
- Fine-tuned some colors.
- Removed the demo-version timeout and added a voice-over.
- Patch browser can now also be opened by clicking on ‘BROWSER’ or the display on the upper left.
- A finger is shown when hovering over ‘BROWSER’ to indicate that the control is click-able.
- The synth has more ‘bottom’ and sounds warmer.
- Enhanced sound of Reverb.
- Replaced Chorus with a better one.
- Reworked all factory patches.
- More precise timing.
- The more smooth sound of noise.
- Higher sound-quality in 44 khz, 48 khz, and 88 khz sample-rate.
- Reworked many graphics.
- Many small enhancements.
- Fonts are easier to read.
- Fine-tuned GUI layout.
- Enhanced mouse focus and mouse-wheel support on PC.
- OSCs in free mode have a more punchy sound.
- Midi-learn syncs better when multiple instances are used.
- A warning is shown when Midi-configuration can’t be stored because of write-protected files.
- More accurate modeling of the tuning in mono-modes
- The audio-engine now uses 64-bit precision instead of 32-bit, which results in a higher sound-quality.
- Slightly enhanced sound of the automatic micro-tuning.
- Enhanced sound of the Reverb.
- PC: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 / 11
- PC formats: 64-bit VSTi, standalone
- Mac: MacOS 10.7 or higher / MacOS 11; Intel CPU or Apple M1
- Mac formats: 64-bit VSTi, 64-bit Audio Unit (AU)
User-friendly copy-protection: No cloud, no dongle, no need to be online
Installation note on the Mac if you upgrade from a previous version: The directory of some patches has changed since they have been re-categorized and enhanced. To avoid duplicates it is recommended to delete ‘Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Saurus_sounds’ before you install Saurus4.