If you are thinking that the music industry is simple, you are definitely wrong. The musicians, artists, songwriters, and producers are working days and nights on their tracks to make them in the form of music. Music is considered the food of the spirit and is the biggest part of every person’s life. Music has been an integral part of the entertainment, common workplaces, and media and is considered a precious commodity to date. Music has seen several ups and downs all through ages but is surviving and will survive forever.
People are often seen these days complaining that there is no good music released now. Moreover, the recording labels and music publishing companies are also vanishing at an alarming rate. One of the main aspects of the scenario is that the music industry has been revolutionized by technology.
With the amendments and improvements in technology, music has been changing along with the methods of its recording and publishing. We are currently living in an era where every person can make their own records and publish them online through different platforms.
The music is mostly posted on social media websites and some websites which are dedicated to the publishing of underground music. These websites and online portals have been encouraging people to make their own music and rule the world with their taste in music.
The MP3 Technology
The MP3 technology has been enabling the mass piracy and theft of music that have thought to be possible in the history of music. These days’ amateur singers and musicians can publish their content by bashing the rights of authentic owners. The professional albums are not so cheap to be made and published on monthly basis.
However, professional albums are consuming abundant time to be published at the right time.
Therefore, the people who are interested in listening to the music only are not going to buy the original versions of songs in the form of CDs but they opt to download the music from online websites in the form of MP3. This is why it is very hard for the music publishing companies, producers, artists, and musicians to earn money these days.
How Has Technology Changed the Music Industry?
Technology is the greatest development of the current era and has a great impact on almost every factor of our lives. Technology has also greatly influenced the music industry such that it has entirely changed the scenario for the music industry.
In the beginning, the artists were used to make money by making albums and then selling them in the markets along with having toured across the globe.
For instance, the bands such as The Who, Motley Crue, The Beatles, and Van Halen, etc. used to be the icons and representatives of the music industry across the globe. Now the situation is completely different which is all because of the advent and use of technology in the music industry.
The technology has given birth to several best music apps enabling users to download or listen to music anywhere in the world. During the analog media reign, people had to purchase albums and recordings to listen to the music of their favorite artists. The consumers had to walk into the music stores, search for the music collections and then leave stores giving the owners money.
But these albums were not good for easy transportation for personal use because you could not carry a player with you everywhere. The following are some of the contribution of the technology in the form of music applications which has entirely changed the music industry.
Music on the Move
- In the early 90’s the vehicles used to have CD players and Walkman players which were used by the consumers. The listeners had to pop in the cassettes into the players and then list to n their favorite music. The CD players offered more space for the users to listen to songs in greater quantity because the memory of CDs was more than the cassettes. By the time the artists of the music industry were able to expand their music influences very quickly and independently.
- As technology progressed the music industry also keeps changing its trends. Until the 2000’s music industry saw a bump change in the form of micro music. This was the beginning of a completely digital age. There were many sites by the time such as Napster and Lime Wire allowing its consumers to download music directly onto their computers entirely free of cost. This allowed the consumers to enjoy free music quickly and had no barriers. But this also gave rise to copyright infringement cases and many sites were sued because of the copyright act.
The Era of YouTube and iTunes
- The battle of musicians, music companies, and producers is in its place, and still, we are left with some options such as YouTube and iTunes. Technology has changed the method by which we have been listening to music over the ages. One of such websites is now extensively used for streaming music in the form of audio and video. There are numerous other websites apart from YouTube such as Vimeo, Deezer, and Soundcloud, etc. which are very popular for streaming music.
- Pandora is one of the most famous internet radio since the year 2000. Pandora has a unique way of operation that it let the users put the request of any artist or music. The website will then build up a radio station on the request of the users will then feature the artist and musician of the specific genre of music. Pandora has seen an increase in its users since its existence.
- Spotify is another application that is very similar to that of Pandora through which songs are being played by the title of song or artist name. When you are creating the playlists from the results of the selections, Spotify will enable you to choose or create the stations which are based on your choice. The app is offering you a feature to discover novel music and add in your own favorites.
- iHeart Radio is another fantastic app speaking the truth of the influence of technology on the music industry. You can search live radio stations through this application and queue songs of your choice and enjoy music through your computer or smartphone. The app can only be used through Apple products.
- iTunes Radio is another fantastic application that is offering you to have access to almost 250 genre-focused stations. The radio station is creating stations based on the artists, musicians, songs, or songwriters that you choose. You can also create music lists through the genre of music of your choice. The app offers you a variety of other options such as downloading music entirely free of cost.
- Milk Music is a special app by Samsung which lets its users choose from the music they desire to listen to. The users are capable of creating stations based on the choice of their favorite musician, singer, or poet and then the app will choose music of your choice.
The digital era has made it possible for consumers to take the music with them anywhere across the globe!