Roazhon DSP releases BrainStormer, a free for download virtual analogue synthesizer featuring FM and ring modulation capabilities. BrainStormer plugin comes in 32 bit and 64 bit VSTi/VSTi3 plugin format for Windows.
After 2 year of hard work this is the official release, even the plugin is currently still in beta, however the final version will remain freeware.
As a programmer and producer, I always wanted to combine my two passions and create a synthesizer to understand the inner workings and challenges of such a beast. I started the BrainStormer on my free time in 2012, focusing on sound quality and synthesis capabilities. After hours and hours of design, personal researches, coding, testing, and many other things I can’t list, here is finally the 0.85 beta version.
There are so many things I wish I could add to the synth, like a FX section, more waveforms, 2 filters with serial / parallel options, intermediate distortion features, optimizing some parts of the code. Unfortunately I did not have the time to do this for now, but I keep all of this in mind for future versions.
- 3 stereo oscillators with retrig, phase, wave stretch, stereo dephasing controls
- Flexible FM & ring modulation
- Filter (LP, BP, HP, Peak, Notch) with dedicated ENV, key follow
- 2 LFOs with large frequency range (up to 2kHz), retrig, bpm sync, phase, clipping, independant destination amount controls, self modulation
- 2 mod ENVs with ADSR, independant destination amount controls, self modulation.
- 2 extra modulator sources (wheel, pitchbend, velocity, ENVs and LFOs)
- 72 destinations for modulators
- Panic, main volume, polyphony, note mode, portamento, pitchbend controls
- Internal oversampling x2, 100% home-made dsp code
- VST3 and VST2.4 (32 and 64 bits versions)