Ableton Live is one of the most popular digital audio workstation in this days and it looks that the Ableton Live has most controllers than any other DAW. Big names such as Novation, AKAI, Livid and others developed dedicated controllers to give Ableton Live users instant control over the main functions: sequencing, manipulating effects, triggering clips and many more. If you are thinking to take your Live music production to the next level and want to buy a controller then check the best Ableton Live MIDI controllers:
Push by Ableton
Created in close collaboration with AKAI, Push is one of the best dedicated controller for Ableton Live music software. Push is able to replicate anything you can do with the Ableton Live software.
Push features an 8×8 grid of RGB pressure-sensitive pads, used for real-time note input, clip launching, sequencing and not only.
- The ultimate DAW Controller for Ableton Live 9
- Includes Ableton Live 9 Intro DAW Software
- Matrix of 64 velocity/pressure-sensitive pads
- Advanced grid options let you segment the pad matrix into various sections
- Play virtual instruments in an intuitive keyboard-style layout
- Select the scale you want to play in, and the appropriate pads light up to show you the notes
- 4.7″ touch strip to bend notes, control modulation, and control any of Live’s MIDI-controllable parameters
- 4-line alphanumeric LCD display provides visual feedback
- 11 endless, touch-sensitive encoders
- USB bus power for maximum portability but comes with a power supply
- 2 x footswitch inputs
Push is available for €499 / $599.
APC40 Mk2 by Akai
Akai Professional in collaboration with Ableton brings the APC40 MkII that features 5×8 RGB clip-launching pads grid with 40 responsive triggers, five Scene buttons, nine faders, 16 knobs, a crossfader and many more buttons for maximum flexibility on Ableton Live. This makes APC40 MkII to be perfect for both live or studio use.
- Provides hands-on control of Ableton Live
- Seamlessly integrates 1 to 1 with Ableton Live (v9.1.3+)
- 5×8 clip-launch matrix with RGB feedback for clip status and color coding
- 9 channel faders, 8 control knobs, and 8 device controls interface with Ableton Live
- USB-powered and plug-and-play connectivity for Mac and PC
- Sends button for quick access to 8 send buses
- Assignable A/B crossfader for dynamic mixing on the fly
- Shift button and directional arrows manipulate the scope of the grid
- Revised knob layout with in-line controls for streamlined workflow
APC40 MkII by AKAI is available for €299 / $399.
Launchpad Pro by Novation
Unveiled at 2015 NAMM Show, Launchpad Pro by Novation is the newest member of their popular grid MIDI controller series. This controller features 8×8 RGB LED grid of pads that are velocity and pressure-sensitive.
Launchpad Pro is an instrument aimed to live performance: very easy to add new effects, switch between four key modes, immediately trigger and combine your clips, create dynamic beats and play the grid just like an instrument and more.
- Integrate seamlessly with Ableton Live
- Control a variety of other music software and external hardware
- Play using RGB pads that match the color of your clips
- Create expressive beats on drum racks spread across the whole 8 x 8 grid
- Easily play notes, melodies and chords on an illuminated chromatic keyboard
- Get immediate, slick access to all your mixer controls
- Control your effects and instrument mid-performance
- Download and control a growing library of Max for Live devices
- Compact, lightweight, tough and bus-powered
- Comes with everything you need to start
Launchpad Pro is available for $299.
BeatStep Pro by Arturia
As the Launchpad Pro presented above, BeatStep Pro by Arturia was also presented at 2015 NAMM Show and is the new world-class controller featuring 2 monophonic step sequencers and 16-track drum sequencer (one track per pad). This new “PRO” version is the pumped-up brother of Arturia’s BeatStep step sequencer/controller released in 2014. BeatStep Pro is capable of triggering clips in Ableton Live and allows you to play drums in conjunction with virtual instruments such as BFD or EZDrummer.
The BeatStep Pro by Arturia has been designed to work with MIDI-, USB-, CV/Gate-, or DIN Sync-equipped gear.
- 2 monophonic step sequencers
- Up to 64 steps per sequence
- Note, velocity and gate time settings per step
- Note tie
- 16-track drum sequencer (one track per pad)
- MIDI controller mode
- Fully customizable for knobs, step buttons and velocity and pressure sensitive pads
- Send MIDI CC, note data, program changes
- 16 Projects, each with 16×2 sequences, 16 drum sequences and a controller map
- Performance controls
- Randomizer with Amount and Probability settings
- Real-time looper/roller touch strip
- Independent swing amount per sequence
- Touch sensitive knobs
- Tap Tempo
BeatStep Pro is available for €249 /$299.